Monday, December 21, 2009

Two Weeks of Bliss

The much anticipated holiday vacation is now upon me - finally!  I've started a list of things I want to do over the next two weeks - but first . . . I finished two projects recently.  I thought I'd make a rainbow quilt in honor of my new quilting studio and to symbolize my current journey to learn more about color.  For the time being I still continue to be completely satisfied with purchasing fabric packs online - esp. fabrics designed by master colorists such as Kaffe Fassett and Philip Jacobs.  I am a huge fan of their work - first discovering Kaffe and then more recently Philip Jacobs.  I feel like I'm learning about colors by working on projects that they have designed.  I have all of Kaffe's quilting books as well as his knitting and mosaic publications.  I was buying his books way before I actually ever made a quilt or learned how to knit.  I'm not sure if I'd be so into quilting if it wasn't for their work.  I'm somewhat younger than most quilters I've encountered to date and I've learned so much about the subjectivity of color and fabric design preferences - yet when it comes down to it we're just drawn to what we're drawn to.  I know a lot of people don't like my quilts because they are so busy and so full of so many different colors and patterns.  Yet I don't care what people think - I'm doing this for me.  Most of my fabric purchases are ordered online and when I open up those packages my heart just soars with happiness and excitement.   I decided to not keep the "Raindow" quilt in the studio - currently it's hanging from the upstairs landing.


Then I decided to finally tackle quilting the pink and red quilt top that I finished awhile ago - the one my husband and I affectionately refer to as the "Karen On Acid Quilt".  A very, very colorful quilt!  This one ended up having a lot of problems - log cabin squares cut on the bias that had a lot of "issues".  This is the first quilt with a lot of free motion quilting - still a tough for thing for me and have decided that this will be the quilt for office/studio snuggling.



So, for the two weeks of bliss list . . .

quilting - make a quilt to snuggle under in the living room; take quilt top used in old house as a curtain and make a quilt for the family room; make bedroom striped curtain panel; if time, start Inin's quilt.

read, read, read

redesign and organize blog - and make entries.  read through new book purchase:  "Blogging for Bliss - Crafting Your Own Online Journal" by tara frey

work on garden landscaping plan

breathe, stretch, breathe, stretch

work on the pansy needlepoint

sleep in and go to bed late

go on a walk every day

bake

make soup and learn how to make curry

pray, plan and think about how to take appropriate actions - re: fragile job situation


Quite a list - I wonder how many of these things I'll actually do.  Or maybe I'll just sit and look out the windows like our two new cats . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment