Sunday, March 22, 2009

Why Didn’t I Ever Take An Art Class in High School or College?

I took an interesting class today – “Fusible Flowers: Cone Flowers” at the Quilters Corner. The class taught us Melinda Bula’s flower technique which involves building the flower in layers of fabrics and then adding sparkle with her "Renegade Thread play". Basically a paint-by-number technique. It’s kind of funny – I had obtained this book about a year ago about making “Cutting Garden Quilts” and the book contained fabulous pictures of these flowers made with all these bits of fabric. Being a new quilter I thought “someday I’d like to explore this further”. More recently I noticed this particular class was being taught and I thought it sounded similar to what was featured in this book. Turns out that the book was written by the instructor of the class, Melinda Bula – what a great surprise that was!

The picture shows my flowers in their early stage – I have a lot more cutting of fabrics to do. Perhaps I’ll document my progress on this blog as time goes on. Melinda taught us to conquer our fears and to know that something “doesn’t have to be perfect, just pretty.” She was a great teacher and such an inspiration. Onward to new adventures . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment